Print Friendly Recipe
- Potato Casserole
- Sissy Wommack
Serves/Makes:1-9 X 13 Baking Dish
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). bag of hashbrown potatoes (thawed)
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup), melted
- 1 cup (225 ml) diced onions (approximately 2 medium sized onions)
- 1 10-3/4 oz (301 grm). can Cream of Chicken, Celery, or Mushroom Soup
- 2 cups (475 ml) shredded sharp or mild cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tube of Ritz Crackers or similar crackers (I use a cheap off-brand, does as well)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Grease a 9" X 13" baking dish (I used butter but you can use Crisco or spray with a product like Pam).
- Mix all the ingredients together EXCEPT 1/2 stick of the melted butter (1/4 cup) and the crackers.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Then put the crackers in a ziplock bag and crush them, I used a meat mallet but you can use your hand, or a rolling pin, whatever you want to.
- Then add the remaining 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of melted butter to the crackers, in the bag, and work the butter into the crackers.
- When mixed sprinkle over the potato mixture.
- Put in the oven and bake for 1 hour at 375 degrees (200 C.).
- I got this recipe from my friend Mary Jane Inman, and if you knew her, you would understand me when I say, that I would ask for a recipe from her, would almost be unbelievable, she didn't even believe it. To give you an example, her Husband, Tad, found a Dead Mouse in her Kitchen Floor and he took it to the Vet to see what happened to it. And the vet said that it had died from Starvation! Ha. That is how much she cooks or keeps at the house. But she fixed me a Birthday Dinner the other nite, and she had actually cooks something, and this was one of the dishes, and I had eaten other peoples Potato Casseroles before, but hers was just a little better than the others. So a couple of days later I was fixing for our Neighborhood picnic and I thought this would be a great dish to take, So I called her, and left a message, and I told her that she was not going to believe this, but I was calling for her Potato Casserole Recipe. When She called back, she was enjoying every minute of it, just loving it that I had called her for a Recipe, of all things. We became friends, after, I had already decided I was not going to like her, I thought she was a snob. She is one of those blondes that looks like she might drown if it rained. But I was FORCED to be around her, and guess What? She wasn't that way at all. She is FUNNY and a Great Friend, and I am grateful she was FORCED on me. Ha.
Editors note: This is Sissy. All her recipes come with a story!
|Email This To A Friend