Print Friendly Recipe
- Great Chicken Casserole
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 4 cups (950 ml) milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 3 cups (700 ml) cooked egg flat noodles (dumpling type or kluski really good in this)
- 4 cups (950 ml) chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (475 ml) frozen peas
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) instant minced onion
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter-sauteed onions
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ketchup
- dash of Tabasco or red hot chile sauce for a slight flavor enhancement
- 3 cups (700 ml) buttered soft breadcrumbs, optional
- pimento, optional
- chopped carrots, optional
- Saute mushrooms in butter in a skillet.
- Stir in the flour.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Put in a buttered 3 1/2 qt. to 4 qt. large casserole dish or a pyrex glass roasting dish.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Hint: Use optional 3 cups (700 ml) of buttered soft bread crumbs on top and bake until browned and bubbling uncovered.
- Because it is classic to add pimiento to Chicken a la King, everyone does, but I don't like pimiento in it. So, often times for color, I add finely chopped carrots and saute them with the onions. You have to increase the butter by about a tsp or so if you do. Use about a cup or two of carrots, no more, or it will taste too sweet.
Since this is a sort of plain looking colored dish, it is nice to serve it with a Jell-O salad and fruit on the side. The classic salad is a cut wedge of iceberg lettuce with a slice or two of tomato and boiled dressing or your favorite salad dressings. Biscuits are almost a must with this, with lots of butter and honey.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.