Print Friendly Recipe
- Posted by Father Broderick in Metairie LA at www.nola.com
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg). short ribs
- 2 cups (475 ml) chicken broth
- 2 cups (475 ml) water, or enough to barely cover ribs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) catsup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dry mustard
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- THE DAY BEFORE GRILLING THE RIBS, put the sugar and vinegar in a pot large enough to hold the ribs and place over medium heat on top of the stove.
- Cook until the vinegar reduces and forms a syrup with the sugar, about 8 minutes. Watch carefully as the syrup will suddenly darken in color.
- Immediately add broth, water, catsup, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire, cloves, chili powder and pepper and bring to a boil. Add the ribs and cook 20 minutes. (for chicken, cook for 10 minutes)
- Remove from heat, remove the ribs from the liquid and place covered in the refrigerator. Cook the liquid over medium heat until it becomes thick and syrupy.
- DAY OF GRILLING, Place the ribs on the grill so they are not directly over the coals or flame and cover the grill so that smoke collects inside.
- If your grill does not have a cover, improvise one out of aluminum foil. Cook for 40 minutes, basting with barbecue sauce every 10 minutes. When ribs are well heated, remove to a platter and serve.
- * Serve with extra sauce on the side.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.