Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) very warm water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon rind
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk scalded and cooled fine dried breadcrumbs
- 12 oz (336 grm). farmer cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- In large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- In second bowl,with mixer at medium speed, beat salt with eggs until they are very thick and pale in color.
- Stir in the blended butter and sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle yeast in very warm water (110 degrees), stir until dissolved.
- With spoon, beat into sugar mixture along with lemon rind and cinnamon.
- Add flour alterntely with milk, beating with spoon after each addition until smooth.
- Cover and let rise in warm place (85 degrees) until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir down and let rise again until double, about 45 minutes.
- Butter, thoroughly, a 3 quarts (2850 ml) fluted ring mold or bundt pan, dust with bread crumbs and set aside.
- With mixer on high speed, beat together cheese, egg yolks, sugar, and salt until light; refrigerate.
- To the Babka dough, risen the second time (above directions):
- Stir dough down and spoon half of it into the prepared mold or bundt pan.
- Cover with cheese filling, pressing it down into the dough.
- Spoon rest of dough over the filling and let it rise in a warm place until double, about 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- When Babka has doubled, bake for 45 60 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let stand in pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.