Print Friendly Recipe
- A wonderful recipe from New Orleans
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) boiling water
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) garlic salt
- Pepper to taste
- Tabasco to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 oz (224 grm).) can tomato sauce
- 1 bell pepper wedge
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (475 ml) (or more, to taste) cleaned crab meat
- 1 pint whipping cream
- Sherry, if desired
- Chopped green onion (garnish)
- In a large, heavy Dutch oven, make a light roux by stirring butter and flour over medium-high flame until light brown.
- Add celery and onion and cook until soft.
- Add water, milk, bouillon cubes, cloves, garlic salt, pepper, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, bell pepper and bay leaf.
- Simmer 1 to 2 hours, or more.
- Remove bell pepper and bay leaf.
- Skim oil from top.
- Add crab and heat thoroughly.
- Before serving, add cream (do not boil!), sherry, if desired, and green onion garnish.
- Serves four for a meal, 6 to 8 as an appetizer.
- Add a diced baked potato to make this a hearty main dish. This recipe is easily doubled, and freezes well before or after addition of crab meat.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.