Print Friendly Recipe
- Orange sauce using currant jelly
- 1 ready to cook duckling (4 lbs (1.8 kg). to 5 lbs (2.3 kg).)
- 2 tsp (10 ml). minced onion
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). tarragon leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) orange juice
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) dry mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) currant jelly
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). shredded orange peel
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). port wine. or cranberry juice
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). cornstarch
- Heat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Make sauce as directed below.
- Eviscerate the duck (if not using an oven ready duck) wash, and pat dry.
- Fasten neck flap to back with skewers.
- Place wing tips over back to support as a natural brace.
- Place duck in shallow roasting pan, breast side up.
- Cooking time for duck is equal to chicken at about 1/2 hour per pound (the best way to tell is when the drumstick feels soft to the touch. or the breast meat is no longer pink).
- In a medium saucepan,cook and stir onion and tarragon leaves in butter.
- Add orange juice, salt, mustard, currant jelly and orange peel.
- Heat over medium heat stirring constantly until jelly is melted.
- Reduce heat and stir in wine and orange sections.
- Use half of the sauce to baste the duck while roasting.
- Stir remaining 1/2 of sauce into the cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until it thickens and boils.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over duck just before serving.
- I have used this recipe for many years as a Christmas alternative dish.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.