Print Friendly Recipe
- Delicious meal. Try it instead of Turkey for holidays!
- 1 Goose ( 7 to 10 lbs (4.5 kg).)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). yellow or red onions, unpeeled
- 2 tbs (30 ml). minced garlic
- olive oil for saut ing
- 4 cups (950 ml) dry French bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk, heated to lukewarm
- 4 cups (950 ml) mixed dried fruits (apples, pears, figs, apricots)
- 2 tbs (30 ml). minced fresh sage or 1 tbs (15 ml). dried sage
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) minced parsley
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped walnuts or hazelnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced celery (optional)
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sweet Italian sausage, diced, saut ed, and drained (optional)
- 1/2 pint fresh shucked oysters, chopped, with their liquor (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Place unpeeled onions in a shallow pan and roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Cool, peel, and chop; set aside.
- Reset oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In a small skillet, saut garlic in a small amount of olive oil until soft but not browned; set aside.
- Soak bread crumbs in milk until soft, then squeeze dry; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread, onions, reserved garlic, dried fruits, sage, and parsley. If desired, add nuts, celery, sausage and oysters with liquor.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stuff the goose with mixture, and truss cavity closed.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast goose in preheated oven until juices run clear when thigh is pricked with a fork, about 2 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 165 to 175 degrees (80 C.).
|Email This To A Friend