Print Friendly Recipe
- Everyone has a favorite! At our house, this caramel-y rich delicious nut pie has become FIRST on the list!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more slices
- For crust:
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) (about) ice water
- For filling:
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light corn syrup
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) chopped pecans
- Mix first 3 ingredients in processor.
- Add shortening and butter; cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Blend in enough water to form moist clumps.
- Gather into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 1 hour.
- Roll dough on floured work surface to 13-inch round.
- Transfer to 9-inch round cake pan with 1 1/2-inch-high sides.
- Trim to align with pan edges.
- Freeze 15 minutes before filling and baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
- Mix in 3/4 cup (175 ml) pecans.
- Pour into crust.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup (225 ml) pecans.
- Bake pie until set, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Transfer to rack; cool.
- Made since Christmas of 1997 with the best results and reviews!
From: November 1997's Bon Appetit Magazine
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.