Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 13 oz (364 grm). can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla extract
- vanilla wafers
- 3 to 4 bananas
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). sugar
- Melt butter in top of a double boiler; stir in brown sugar, flour, and salt.
- Gradually stir in milk and water; cook until thickened, stirring constantly (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir some of the hot mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook 2 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Line bottom and sides of a lightly greased 1-3/4 quarts (1650 ml) casserole with vanilla wafers.
- Slice enough bananas to cover bottom layer; top with half of pudding.
- Layer with vanilla wafers, remaining banana slices, and remaining pudding.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 2 tblsp. sugar, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over pudding.
- Bake at 350 deg. for 10 minutes or until top is brown.
- Source: Southern Living, January 1980
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.