Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 pounds steak, cut on the diagonal into thin strips
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plus 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 large red pepper, washed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, washed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, washed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup (225 ml) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
- 6 pitas
- Trim the steak of any fat, and slice thinly into strips.
- In a glass bowl, combine the soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the oil, garlic, white wine and 1 tsp (5 ml) of the sugar.
- Add the beef, and stir to coat the meat.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to eight hours.
- In a 10 or 12 inch skillet, heat the oil over high heat, then add the peppers, onion and mushrooms.
- Cook over high heat, tossing the vegetables, adding the salt, pepper and the remaining sugar, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook for about five minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp but tender.
- Season the mixture with oregano, then set aside.
- Drain the steak from the marinade.
- Heat a wok on high, then add the steak, stir-frying until it loses its pink color.
- Remove from the heat.
- Cut the pitas in half, and open each pocket.
- Place some of the steak into each pocket, cover with some of the Monterey Jack cheese if used, and then top with the pepper and mushroom mixture.
- Serve two halves per person.
|Email This To A Friend