Print Friendly Recipe
- 6 pitas (6-inch)
- 2 cups (475 ml) Western Barbecue Sauce (see recipe below)
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). smoked Gouda cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
- Additional barbecue sauce and chopped cilantro for garnish
- Ingredients for Western Barbecue Sauce:
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups (475 ml) tomato puree
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Set the pitas on a cookie sheet.
- Spread each with 1/4 cup (60 ml) Western Barbecue Sauce (see directions for making sauce below).
- Top with chicken, smoked Gouda and onion.
- Bake the pitas for 15 to 20 minutes, until the cheese is melted and golden-brown.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the top with chopped cilantro, and roll up.
- Secure with toothpicks.
- Serve with additional barbecue sauce and chopped cilantro.
- Directions for Barbecue Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then add the onion and garlic.
- Saute for two or three minutes, until the vegetables have released their oils.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- If you prefer your sauce sweeter, add additional brown sugar; if you prefer it hotter, add more Tabasco.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Makes about 3 cups (700 ml) sauce.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.