Print Friendly Recipe
- Cheryl Watson
Serves/Makes:1 2 lb. loaf
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). molasses
- 2-2/3 cups (625 ml) bread flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) wheat bran
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) 10 grain cereal (I used 9 grain cereal)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). steel cut oats
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). rye flakes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml). powdered caramel coloring
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). diastatic malt powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp (10 ml). to 3 tsp (15 ml) yeast (use the amount of yeast you usually use for a whole wheat bread)
- Place in bread machine in order recommended by the manufacturer.
- I use my machine to make dough and bake it in the oven because you get a much better crust.
- To get a shiny crust I make a wash of malt syrup (honey would work just as well) and water to brush on just before baking.
- A dough enhancer with diastatic malt powder and vital wheat gluten can be substituted for them.
- I bought a loaf of Chart House Squaw Bread at Costco, took
the list of ingredients and after many loaves have come
up with this recipe. I bake my bread with sourdough instead
of yeast but have converted the recipe into one with yeast.
You may have to play a little with the brown sugar
if it is too sweet or not sweet enough.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.