Print Friendly Recipe
- Hearty vegetarian soup with lentils and vegetables
- 1 lb (.5 kg). dry lentils
- 3 qts. water or vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dry mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Extra vegetable broth (as needed)
- Cook dry lentils in the water or vegetable broth for 50-60 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Puree cooked lentils in blender/food processor.
- Return pureed lentils to pan and add all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, adding more broth as needed.
- This is my Grandmother's tried and true vegetarian lentil soup recipe.
Lentil & Ham Soup: if not vegetarian, add 2 cups chopped, cooked ham to the soup along with the vegetables and spices.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.