Print Friendly Recipe
- A cheesy chicken tortilla soup
- 2 whole chickens
- 6-1/4 cups (1475 ml) chicken broth
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 2 1-1/4 oz (35 grm). packets taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 8 oz (224 grm). picante sauce
- 28 oz (784 grm). can stewed tomatoes
- 1 lb (.5 kg). velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- Roast chickens in a pan filled with 2 inches of water until meat falls off the bone degrees (211 C.) for 3 hours or more.
- Shred chicken and discard bones and skin.
- Reserve pan juices--strain and skim off fat.
- Use these drippings for the chicken broth called for in the recipe, if drippings do not measure 6-1/4 cups (1475 ml) add water and chicken bouillion cubes to make up the difference.
- Saute carrots, garlic, onion and bell pepper in butter until soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning mix, chicken, tortilla strips, and broth.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add picante sauce, stewed tomatoes, and velveeta.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add baking soda.
- Great recipe I got from a friend at church. Makes a lot of soup, so make this when you're hungry.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.