Print Friendly Recipe
- Excellent authentic Northern Italian/Slovenian Dish.
- Susan Doocy
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 lb (.5 kg). tender beef chunks or stew meat
- fresh parsley, minced to taste (I use a full cup)
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) allspice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). can sliced mushrooms
- salt and pepper, to taste
- flour for thickening
- 1 cup (225 ml) cornmeal
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). or more Muenster cheese, sliced
- In a small amount of oil, saute onion, garlic and green pepper for 5 minutes.
- Add meat and parsley and cook until meat is browned.
- Add tomato sauce, water, bouillon, bay leaf, all spice, wine, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until meat is very tender.
- Thicken with a flour and water slurry just before serving.
- To make the Polenta, cook cornmeal in water until very thick.
- Place a serving of polenta on each plate and top with a layer of muenster cheese, then spoon the meat gravy you made over over the top.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.