Print Friendly Recipe
- Rouladen consists of slices of beef round steak, flattened and spread with a filling; a piece of pickle is added, then it is rolled and simmered.
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). beef round steak, sliced or pounded to 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). prepared mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely minced onion
- 1 large dill pickle
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml). salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). oil
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml). Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml). beef gravy base
- 1 cup (225 ml) hot water
- 1 tsp (5 ml). brown sugar
- heavy cord or skewers
- flour, for thickening
- cooked noodles, potatoe dumplings, or mashed potatoes
- Cut round steak into 8 rectangular pieces and flatten with meat mallet.
- Spread steak rectangles with prepared mustard to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Sprinkle all with minced onion, but stay on mustard.
- Cut dill pickle into 8 lengthwise strips.
- Halve slices of bacon crosswise.
- Top each steak with bacon half and pickle strip.
- Roll up jellyroll fashion and tie with cord or skewer securely.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat meat rolls and brown in a large skillet with oil.
- In another bowl, combine tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beef gravy base, hot water, and brown sugar.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture over meat rolls in skillet.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove meat from sauce and remove cord or skewers.
- If sauce is too thin, combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) or 2 tbsp (30 ml). of flour with an equal amount of cold water and stir into sauce.
- Cook sauce until thick an bubbly.
- Serve meat rolls with hot buttered noodles, potato dumplings or mashed potatoes.
- Top with sauce.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.