Print Friendly Recipe
- Delicious Cake to serve alone frosted or with berries. Perfect cake for Pineapple Upside Down Cake, or ANY fruited upside down cake!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:8 or more servings
- 1 cup (225 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups (950 ml) cake flour
- 4 tsp (20 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) milk
- Cream butter and sugar thoroughly, add vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients together, twice.
- Add sifted dry ingredients aternately with milk.
- Bake in three buttered and floured 9-inch cake pans in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 30-40 minutes.
- When cool, frost with buttercream or cream cheese frostings. See comments for other ideas.
- This cake recipe is excellent as a base cake for upside down cakes. In the 9-inch cake pans, or in a large bundt or tube pan, or in a large 11x16x2 inch cake pan, layer in any fruit you like.. such as pineapple rings, cherries, nuts. Then, after sprinkling in brown sugar and butter on the top of the fruit, carefully pour the cake batter, then bake as directed.
This cake is also excellent to use your favorite fruit perseves as fillings and then frost with a chocolate granache.
Very multi-purpose scratch cake. Be creative!!
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.