Print Friendly Recipe
- A classic Cakemix Doctor recipe. Tube Pan Recipe, like a chocolate angel food cake or sponge cake. Delicious.
- Susan Doocy
Serves/Makes:12 or more slices
- Cake Ingrdients:
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cream of tartar
- 1 18.25 oz (511 grm). plain chocolate fudge or devil's food cake mix
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). peppermint extract
- 1 cup (225 ml) powdered sugar
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) crushed peppermint candy
- Cake Preparation:
- Place oven rack in center of oven and heat to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Set aside an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric beaters on high speed until stiff peaks form--about two to three minutes; set aside.
- Place cake mix, water, oil, egg yolks and vanilla in a large mixer bowl, and with same beaters (no need to clean them), blend on low speed for one minute.
- Stop and scrape down bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat for two minutes, again scraping down bowl.
- Turn the egg whites out on top of the batter and fold in with a rubber spatula until batter is light but well-combined.
- Pour batter into the ungreased pan, smoothing top.
- Bake at 325 degrees (175 C.) for 60 to 65 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove and turn it upside down over the neck of a glass bottle. Cool for one hour.
- Remove pan from bottle and run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a rack.
- Invert again onto a serving platter so that it's right side up.
- Frost with icing and serve.
- Icing Preparation:
- Place butter, peppermint extract and powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with electric beaters on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar alternately with milk, one tbsp at a time, blending on low speed.
- Add another tbsp of milk if frosting seems too stiff.
- Increase mixer to medium speed and beat frosting for one minute or until light and fluffy.
- Fold in peppermint candy.
- Spread over the top and sides of the cake with smooth strokes.
- Let cake rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
- The cake also looks great without frosting--just dust with sifted powdered sugar.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.