Print Friendly Recipe
- Prickly Pear
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). ground beef
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) sea salt
- 2 12 oz (336 grm). cans beer (I use Coors)
- 2 4 oz (112 grm). cans diced green chiles
- 2 28 oz (784 grm). cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) coarse black pepper
- 2-1/2 tbsp (35 ml) chile powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cumin
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) crushed red pepper
- 1 30 oz (840 grm). can pinto beans
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can Navy or Great Northern beans
- sharp chedder cheese, grated (optional)
- flour tortillas (optional)
- Brown meat in salt.
- Saute vegetables in small amount of oil and add to cooked meat.
- Then add rest of ingredients--except for the beans--and simmer for a couple of hours.
- Add beans during last 30-45 minutes of cooking time.
- I developed this recipe over a period of several years. It has become a favorite with family and friends. I usually serve it with grated sharp cheddar on top of each bowl and warmed & buttered flour tortillas folded on the side.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.