Print Friendly Recipe
- Barley and Kale combine to make a delicious side dish for any meal. Especially nice with grilled or broiled fish, roasted pork, chicken or beef.
- S. Chokel
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) pearl barley
- 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). package frozen chopped kale or spinach, thawed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) unsalted butter, cut up
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over low heat.
- Add onion and saute five minutes until golden brown.
- Add barley, stirring to coat.
- Stir in water and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until barley is almost tender.
- Stir in kale and cook 10 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in Parmesan, pepper, and butter.
- This is a good base to add to vegetables and beef and chicken stocks for soup!
289 calories, 7.8g total fat, 3.9g saturated fat, 2.6g monounsaturated fat, 0.7g polyunsaturated fat, 9.7g dietary fiber, 12g protein, 45g carbohydrate, 15mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium
Good source of:
fiber, beta-carotene, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin K, copper, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium, zinc, indoles, lutein, quercetin
|Email This To A Friend