Print Friendly Recipe
- Ham.. done up pretty for Holidays and special celebrations.
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 12 lb (5.4 kg). semi-boneless ham, or larger
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). bottle apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (225 ml) brown sugar
- 1 20 oz (560 grm). can pineapple slices, in own juice, drained and reserved
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). jar maraschino cherries
- whole cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Score top of ham in a diamond pattern, making cuts about 1-inch apart and place ham in a baking dish or roaster.
- Pour 1/2 cup (125 ml) vinegar over top of ham and place in oven. Bake for 1 hour, then pour additional 1/2 cup (125 ml) vinegar over ham.
- Continue to pour additional vinegar over ham at 1-hour intervals until ham has baked a total of 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, pour pineapple juice into a small saucepan.
- Heat until it begins to simmer, then add 1/2 cup (125 ml) to 3/4 cup (175 ml) brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and stir until sugar is dissolved and well blended.
- Serve sauce with baked ham.
- Remove ham from oven after baking 4 hours and pack brown sugar into the opened scored cuts on top of ham.
- To decorate the ham, place 1 clove at each corner of scored cuts on top of ham.
- Place pineapple slices to cover entire top and add 1 cherry to the center of each pineapple slice. You may need toothpicks to hold pineapple slices in place.
- Baste top of ham with heated juice mixture and return ham to oven.
- Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Baste ham at 30-minute intervals for the next 1 1/2 hours.
- With a baster, remove and discard the liquid from bottom of baking dish as it accumulates.
- Let ham set for 30 minutes before carving.
- Remove pineapple slices and cherries and place on a serving platter as decoration surrounding slices of ham.
- If a whole ham is used, begin carving at the small end.
- You can leave the decorations on the ham and serve it whole with precooked slices around the whole ham for a stellar presentation.. and if you want LOTS of ham sandwiches!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.