Print Friendly Recipe
- donna berryman
- 1 large head of cabbage (not compacted or trimmed
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1 cup (225 ml) raw rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 16 oz (448 grm). package sauerkraut (more if you like the flavor)
- 1 14-1/2 oz (406 grm). can stewed tomatoes
- 4 slices bacon
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add cabbage and bring back to a boil.
- As cabbage cooks, begin to break off leaves and remove from pot.
- While preparing cabbage, cook rice according to package directions.
- Mix cooked rice, ground beef (raw), onion, salt and pepper.
- Place 1 tbsp (15 ml) of rice/beef mixture in cabbage leaf and roll up.
- Place 4 strips of bacon in the bottom of a heavy pan.
- Place a layer of cabbage rolls on top.
- Top with a layer of sauerkraut.
- Continue to layer until all cabbage rolls and sauerkraut are used.
- Pour can of stewed tomatoes over top.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook several hours (the longer cooked the better).
- Do not stir while cooking, but be careful not to burn.
- This recipe was given to me by a neighbor whose grandmother was Hungarian. She stated that she always served it with potato pancakes. These cabbage rolls have a strong flavor. They freeze well.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.