Print Friendly Recipe
- Eggs Sardou the easy way. The perfect savory, delicious and EASY way to serve this classic meal of Eggs Sardou.
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- Bottom Layer:
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter, unsalted
- 1 cup (225 ml) sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) scallions, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) garlic, minced
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 9 oz (252 grm). packages of frozen artichoke hearts (canned not as good)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken broth
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 dozen jumbo or extra large hard boiled eggs, peeled
- Top Sardou Sauce Layer:
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) to 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) chicken broth (for thicker or thinner sauce)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped thyme leaves (fresh worth it, or 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried thyme leaves)
- freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Bottom Layer Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.) and lightly butter a 13x9x2 inch oven proof casserole dish or "cake pan" and set aside.
- Melt butter in a 4 qt. to 5 quarts (4725 ml) dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions, scallions, and the garlic.
- Cover the pot and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring every now and then to check to make sure the onions and garlic are not browning, but become soft and tender.
- Stir in the spinach, the artichoke hearts and the chicken broth, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or so, until the artichokes are tender, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the mixture as evenly as you can into the buttered casserole dish.
- Slice the hard boiled eggs (an egg slicer is perfect for this) and spread them on top of the spinach artichoke mixture covering it as much as possible, overlapping is great, don't worry about it.
- Top Sardou Sauce Layer and Final Assembly Directions:
- Using the same size pot, a 4 5 quarts (4725 ml) dutch oven or pot, melt 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes or so, making a nice roux.
- Pour in the cream and 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) to 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) of chicken broth (depends if you want a thicker or thinner sauce, I like thicker), and whisk the sauce until it is well blended and no lumps are seen.
- Cover the pot and take it off the heat and let it "calm down and set-up" for about a minute.
- Put the pot on the burner again and bring the sauce to a boil until the sauce starts to really thicken, reduce the heat and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes, stirring contantly so it won't stick and blends.
- Remove from the heat for the last time and add the cheese, 2 tbsp (30 ml) of butter, the lemon juice, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend it all together and then carefully spoon or pour it over the artichoke and hard boiled eggs in the casserole dish so all areas are covered.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for a good 25 minutes until well heated, then uncover the dish and bake it for about 10-15 minutes longer until it is bubbling, but NOT not browned.
- Take it from the oven and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Delicious with homemade English Muffins (Bays brand are a good substitiution), or a thicker slice of real sourdough bread lightly toasted.
Fresh strawberries or a fresh fruit bowl is the perfect accompaniment.
This recipe gets rave reviews and is perfect for potlucks, brunches, family and friend breakfasts, a great after Midnight Mass meal, and a super side dish for Easter dinners or any Ham dinner. It can be halved or doubled, but it cannot be frozen. I am not sure how leftovers reheat, as I have never once had leftovers! In fact, I have relatives that used to drive over 5-6 hours to visit for a weekend and request this for breakfast! It is my brother's favorite meal and my "meat and potatoes" husband loves it too!
|Email This To A Friend