Print Friendly Recipe
- Rich and Succulent poppy seed "coffee cake". Similar to Babka but better!
Serves/Makes:12 to 20
- Cake Dough Ingredients:
- 1 oz (28 grm). yeast
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) tepid milk
- 1 egg
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon rind
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). butter, melted
- Spread Ingredients:
- 1 lb (.5 kg). poppy seed pastry filling, canned or bagged
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins
- Crumbs Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) confectioners' sugar
- Cake Dough Directions:
- Place yeast in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tablespooons sugar and the milk, stir and let stand for five minutes.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) of the flour, stir, adn let stand in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Beat the rest of the sugar with the egg and the yolks until they are very well blended and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rest of the flour, the yeast mixture, vanilla and lemon rind together, then after it is mixed together, place on a kneading board.
- Knead the dough for five minutes, using a lightly floured board as needed.
- After a good five minutes of kneading, start adding the melted butter in small portions.
- Knead another five minutes after adding all the butter. The dough should be smooth.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl or pan covered with a light cotton towel and place in an 100 degree (40 C.) oven with the door slightly opened until it has doubled in size.
- Spread Directions:
- After the dough has doubled in size from the first rising, speard it over a 9x13 inch cake pan, buttered and sprinkled with flour.
- Mix the homemade or prepared poppy seed with the lemon rind and the raisins so they are well blended.
- Spread the mixed Poppy Seed topping over the dough in the pan. Return the cake to the oven until it doubles again in size. This is normally done at the end of the day, and it is left to double in size overnight.
- Crumb Directions:
- Combine the flour, butter, vanilla, and the sugar into a thick sort of paste.
- Taking the cake out of the oven, being careful not to let it fall from it's final rising, grate or finger sprinkle the crumb paste over the top of the poppy seed filling.
- Baking Directions:
- Bake the cake in a preheated moderate 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 40 minutes.
- Normally, this very rich poppy seed cake is served in very little squares with a richly brewed coffee. However, it is fine to serve it in larger slices. I find that serving it in a cut that produces 15 squares is the nicest size.
Because of the work and the lenght of time and the usual time to serve this being the early morning, it is usually made late in the afternoon or early evening and left to do it's final rising overnight in a draft-free oven, to be crumb topped and baked first thing in the morning.
HINT: You can make this same recipe as a "cheese" coffee cake that is like a cheese danish or a cheesecake sort of topping rather than poppyseed by beating until 3 egg yolks and 2/3 cups of sugar are dissolved, then add in 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/3 cup of chopped orange rind, 1 pound of farmer's or ricotta cheese, and 2 tablespooons of butter. After this is well blended, use it to cover the coffee cake dough to do the last rising and then top with the crumbs and bake the same way.
|Email This To A Friend