Print Friendly Recipe
- Delicous chicken that has sweetness, but a rich savoriness too. Island Flavors. Great served over rice, or alone, any leftovers are wonderful too!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 whole chicken (3-1/2 lbs (1.6 kg). to 4 pounds), cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dark rum
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) minced chives
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) peanut oil, (or vegetable, your choice)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) dark (or light) brown sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) minced onions
- 1/4 lb (.1 kg). sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock or water
- chopped or whole cashews or peanuts, optional garnish
- cooked rice, optional
- Combine salt, pepper, Worcestershire, soy sauce, rum, garlic, and chives to make a marinade.
- Marinate chicken in mixture for at least 8 hours or best if overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and SAVE the liquid.
- Heat oil in a heavy large skillet until it is very hot, add the brown sugar.
- When the sugar has melted and turmed dark brown, add the chicken and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, depending on how plump your chicken is, turning occasionally until the chicken is nicely browned.
- Add the onion and the saved marinade and cook for a good 5 minutes over high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of chicken stock or water, cover the skillet.
- Continue simmering over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice or alone garnished with nuts for a great dinner that tastes like the islands!
- Hint: I like to add either a bit of a hot curry powder or crushed red pepper flakes to my marinade. If you like "spice" and "snap" to your foods, try some heat to your taste.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.