Print Friendly Recipe
- Delicious cross between a warm steak salad and a pasta casserole. Great to use on leftover grilled steak.. or try with grilled chicken or shrimp!
- 8 oz (224 grm). to 10 oz (280 grm). grilled beef or steak, shaved or in very thin slices
- 12 oz (336 grm). spinach spiral pasta
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1 lb (.5 kg). mushrooms, sliced
- hot pepper flakes, to taste
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) green onions, sliced
- 1/4 bunch fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- fresh basil to taste, chiffionade
- Parmesan cheese to taste, grated or shaved
- Optional garnish: pine nuts
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Shiraz wine
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mushroom stock, canned, boxed, or cubed
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- About a half hour before begining the cooking, place the sliced mushrooms in a bowl. Pour the Shiraz over the mushrooms, mix well and set aside at room temperature to let the mushrooms marinate.
- Next, slice the leftover grilled steak, if you don't have leftover steak, grill or broil your beef.
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper as soon as it is cooked and set aside.
- Then, whisk together the mushroom broth and Worcestershire sauce; set aside.
- With most of the prep work done, in a large saucepan, cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente, (Not mushy, but "a bite" to the pasta texture). Drain it and set aside to use once the "sauce" is made.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a frying pan placed over medium heat, add the tomato paste and garlic, saute for two to three minutes, stirring constantly or it will stick. If the mixture begins to stick to the pan, add a little of the pasta water.
- The next step is to add the marinated mushrooms and their marinade. Cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the broiled beef and hot pepper flakes to taste, stir and cook until the beef is well heated.
- Put the drained pasta into a warmed serving dish. Empty the beef mixture on top of the pasta and toss to combine.
- Add the green onions, parsley, basil and Parmesan cheese, toss well it all well together.
- Serve warm immediately.
- Steak is King for this recipe for a really delicious dinner or luncheon. Very good with grilled shrimp and/or chicken too!
White button mushrooms that are so easy to get are what the recipe calls for and adds to the overall appeal of this dish, however, if you like, use a variety of mushrooms that compliment your family's taste.
|Email This To A Friend