Print Friendly Recipe
- Rich and wonderful liqoured fruit and nut topping for Holidays. START MAKING IT IN JUNE or JULY!! It has to "work" for about 5-6 months to eat.
- Susan Doocy
- Suitable Fruits:
- Sour Cherries, whole
- Pitted apricots, unpeeled
- Peach halves, unpeeled peeled
- Pears, quartered unpeeled
- Pineapple, peeled and cut in chunks
- Other Ingredients:
- 1 bottle good quality rum
- 4 to 5 liter stoneware crock or porcelain pot (not glass).
- Optional: Walnuts, Black Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans.
- Wash and drain well 1 pound of fresh, ripe strawberries.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) sugar, mix gently, let stand 1 hour before placing into crock.
- Place fruit in pot and add 1 bottle rum.
- Place a saucer on top of the fruit and let stand in cool, dark place.
- Stir very gently once or twice over the next two weeks.
- Every two weeks add another in-season fruit, some sugar and rum as needed, as an example: 1 pound washed and drained fresh fruit, plus 1 cup (225 ml) sugar and enough rum to cover by 1/2 inch.
- To add nuts, remove the amount of Rumtopf you are going to use, place in a glass bowl or jar and add the desired amount and types of nuts, toasted nuts are especially good, and let stand and soak up the flavors for at least 4 hour prior to serving. (I have never added the nuts to the crock, as they are so low acid, I am not sure how they would work in the mix).
- Although Advent is the traditional time to begin sampling the Rumtopf, it can be used at any time and the ingredients refreshed with the addition of more fruit, sugar and rum.
- Remember, however, that after the addition of the fresh fruit it takes AT LEAST 2 weeks before fermentation is well under way again. The longer you allow the mixture to stand and ferment, the richer the Rumtopf.
- THAT is why the Rumtopf is traditionally begun in May or June and eaten during the Christmas season, giving it a full 6 months of blending, fermenting and richness.
- Serve over ice cream, pound cake with whipped cream, or simply scrumptious ladled into individual parfait glasses with lady fingers and sweetened soft whipped cream.
- Start Rumtopf around May to the beginning of July and add ot it as the spring and summer fruits begin their harvest.
The rumtopf needs to do fermenting with the rum and sugar. Always remember to replenish the mixture with more fruit and sugar as it is used. (Blueberries and apples are the only fruits that cannot be used in rumtopf).
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.