Print Friendly Recipe
- "Wildman" Steve Brill
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 5 cups (1175 ml) wild blackberries
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tapioca pearls, ground into powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) apple juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried orange rind or 1/2 tsp (2 ml) orange extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried mint, finely crumbled
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground cardamom seeds
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sweet brown rice flour or 7 oz (196 grm). any whole-grain flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) apricot kernal oil, walnut oil, almond oil or corn oil
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) common spicebush berries, finely chopped, or freshly ground allspice berries
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) corn oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy milk, almond milk, or unsweetened fruit juice, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Mix the blackberries, ground tapioca, 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the apple juice, the orange rind, mint, and cardamom together in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a 14 x 9 x 2 inch oiled baking dish.
- Sprinkle the fruit mixture with 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the flour and dot with apricot kernel oil.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix together the remaining flour, the cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, spicebush berries, nutmeg and salt.
- Mix in the corn oil and then stir in the remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) apple juice and enough soy milk to make a dough that's neither sticky nor crumbly.
- Using a rolling ppin covered with a floured sleeve and working on a floured pastry sheet, roll the dough out 1/4 inch thick in the shape of your baking dish.
- Transfer the rollet out pastry onto the berry layer, cuts slits for steam to escape, and sprinkle on more cinnamon for color, if desired.
- Bake the cobbler until bubbley, about 40 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
- "Wildman" Steve Brill is the author of "The Wild Vegetarian Cookbook", 2002, from Harvard Common Press.
It is available at many local book stores and contains more than 500 recipes for preparing wild and natural foods. For more information, go to the links section on our front page.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.