Print Friendly Recipe
- S. Chokel
- Enchilada Ingredients:
- 4 cups (950 ml) diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups (475 ml) sour cream
- 12 tortillas
- Oil for frying
- Chile Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) canned green chiles, rinsed, seeded, and chopped
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Pinch of oregano
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- Enchilada Directions:
- Combine chicken meat, grated cheese, and sour cream.
- Soft fry the tortillas in the oil, one at a time, then dip in the heated chile sauce.
- Fill each sauced tortilla with chicken mixture and roll it up.
- Place rolls close together in a greased flat casserole, overlapped side down.
- Pour remaining sauce over them.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- Chile Sauce Directions:
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until transparent and limp.
- Add chopped chiles and tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens, (makes 4 cups (950 ml), enough for recipe).
- When I have made this, I usually make double the chile sauce because we like it.
Also, did you know that Trader Vic used the, "Las Palmas" brand of canned Mexican foods for his recipes? He did! And, we are able to buy it from many supermarkets, so look for that brand, or request it. I was able to get it in Arizona easily, but not sure about the whole country.
Trader Vic's Book of Mexican Cooking by Victor J. Bergeron
Copyright 1973 by Doubleday & Company
|Email This To A Friend