Print Friendly Recipe
- My husband's favorite
- Cake Ingredients:
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) milk
- 1-1/8 cups (275 ml) oil
- 3 cups (700 ml) flour
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) almond extract
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) butter extract
- Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/8 cup (30 ml) orange juice
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspooon almond extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) butter extract
- Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease and flour two loaf pans.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and oil together; then add the sugar and blend well.
- Next, add all the flavoring extracts, and blend in well. (Note, it is best to use Pure extracts flavors if possible, not imitation flavorings, check the name on the front of the bottle or box).
- Carefully, add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture, and beat until smooth, but not over-worked.
- Place the batter into the two prepared loaf pans and bake for slightly longer than one hour, bout 65 minutes, and it is imperative to set on a rack to cool, (the bottom of these cakes have a tendency to get soggy if not cooled on a rack).
- Glaze Directions:
- In a small bowl, mix together by hand whipping with a fork, until it is smooth and no sugar lumps are present and the sugar is well dissolved, the orange juice (fresh squeezed with a bit of zest is phenominal tasting for this recipe), the powdered sugar, and flavoring extracts.
- Carefully use a slight bit more orange juice for thinner glaze, or add slowly a tad more powdered sugar for thicker glaze.
- Pour Glaze over warm bread in the loaf pans.
- To Serve:
- Serve warm or cold.
- Garnish with fresh berries and/or a dollop of whipped cream. A raspberry coulis drizzled over slices with whipped cream and a few fresh berries, make a wonderful dessert.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.