Print Friendly Recipe
- The flavor and texture of this Tea Bread is to die for. Very rich and wonderfully flavored bread!
Serves/Makes:2 large loaves
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, plus a tbsp more
- 2 jumbo eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream, plus a tbsp more
- 3 cups (700 ml) sifted unbleached flour
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) baking soda
- 1-1/4 tsp (6 ml) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 4 very ripe large bananas, mashed
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) ground walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 cups (475 ml) chocolate morsel's
- Optional: 1 tbsp (15 ml) of nut liqueur, rum or brandy
- Prheat the oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder together and set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter together, (add the optional liqeuer, rum or brandy flavoring at this point).
- Then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- Add the sour cream and the ground nuts and blend in well.
- Then, add the dry sifted ingredients, alternating with the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the chopped nuts and the chocolate morsels, try not to overwork the batter.
- Bake in two of the very large loaf pans that have been well greased for 55-65 minutes in a 325 degree (175 C.) oven.
- Test with a wooden toothpick to determine doneness (it should come out clean unless you hit a chocolate chip).
- Cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before removing from the pans.
- Hint: Try mixing in peanut butter or butterscotch chips at your creative choice or a mixture of them for really fun banana bread.
Also, these make wonderful mini loaves for Christmas or other gift giving. I have made them using the regular, mini and larger muffin tin forms and had great success, just adjust your baking times.
Special hint: If you can find hazelnuts for this recipe, it tops the scales for delicious!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.