Print Friendly Recipe
- Rich and delicous with a great meringue! Try it for the winter holidays! Especially Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 3 cups (700 ml) milk
- 7 tbsp (100 ml) flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) vanilla
- 1 lightly baked pie crust (10 minutes)
- Meringue Ingredients:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) almond extract
- Filling Directions:
- Cook the brown sugar and water together until a syrup is formed.
- Put in the top of a double boiler and place over boiling water.
- Add some of the cold milk to the flour until it makes a thin smooth paste.
- Combine the beaten egg yolks with the remainder of the milk.
- Then add these two mixtures, one at a time to the syrup, stirring constantly.
- Let cook over a surface burner, stirring until it has thickened and is smooth.
- Add the butter and flavoring last.
- When the mixture has become thickened, put it in the pastry shell and cover with the meringue.
- Meringue Directions:
- Add the salt to the egg whites and beat until stiff.
- Fold the sugar gradually into them and add the flavoring.
- Spread this meringue on the top of the filling and place in the oven at 300 degrees (150 C.) for 20 mintues, the meringue will be golden and the egg whites done.
- You can use a fully baked pie shell, but the edges will get way too dark. If you use a raw crust, there isn't enough time to cook it fully when the meringue is done. The recipe says to use a "half cooked" pie shell. From our experinces, use a flakey pie crust and bake it for 10 minutes JUST prior to filling and putting the meringue on it and put it back into the oven. Perfect everytime!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.