Print Friendly Recipe
- Moist delicous chocolate cake
Serves/Makes:1 8" cake
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz (56 grm). red food coloring
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cocoa
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs; beat well.
- Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring and add to creamed mixture.
- Mix salt and vanilla with the buttermilk.
- Add alternately with the flour to the creamed mixture.
- Mix soda and vinegar and fold gently into the mixture.
- Bake in two greased and floured 8" cake pans (I use Pam) for 30 minutes.
- This was given to my by my aunt back in the 1960s. She was known as a wonderful cook and this cake is proof! I usually frost this with a white mountain frosting. It looks beautiful when cut.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.