Print Friendly Recipe
- Judy taken from The Cake Mix Doctor Cookbook
- solid shortening for greasing pans
- flour for dusting pans
- 1 18.25 oz (511 grm). package German chocolate cake mix with pudding
- 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 1 oz (28 grm). bottle red food coloring
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Generously grease two 9-inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out excess.
- Place the cake mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with mixer on low speed for one minute.
- Scrape down sides of bowl, increase speed to medium and beat 2 to 3 minutes more. Batter should be well blended.
- Divide the batter between the pans, smoothing the tops with a rubber spatula.
- Place pans side by side in the oven.
- Bake the cakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger and start to pull away from the sides of the pans, 28 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a dinner knife around the edge and invert onto a rack, then invert them again onto another rack so that the cakes are right side up.
- Allow them to cool completely, 30 minutes more.
- While cooling prepare Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Place one cake layer, right side up, on a serving platter.
- Spread the top with frosting.
- Place second layer, right side up, on top of first layer and frost the top and sides.
- Place cake, uncovered, in the refrigerator until frosting sets, 20 minutes.
- Store in a cake saver or cover with waxed paper in refrigerator, for up to 1 week.
- If you want a vivid red cake, start with a white cake mix (all other ingredients remain the same)
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.