Print Friendly Recipe
- For use in sauces
- garden tomatoes
- boiling water
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Have ready a large bowl with ice water.
- Plunge tomatoes into rapidly boiling water.
- Boil two minutes.
- Immediately remove tomatoes and place them in ice water bath.
- Skins should slip right off tomatoes now!
- Skin and core all tomatoes and remove all seeds (and liquidy part surrounding seeds).
- Take de-skinned, de-seeded tomatoes and puree them in a food processor, or dice them by hand if you wish.
- With a kitchen scale measure 1 lb (.5 kg). batches of these pureed tomatoes.
- Substitute 1 lb (.5 kg). puree for 1 15 oz (420 grm). or 16 oz (448 grm). can tomatoes in recipes.
- Puree may be frozen and kept up to six months.
- I have used this puree in spaghetti sauce and chili both and it works great. You may want to add extra salt to your recipes when cooking with the puree since regular canned tomatoes usually contain salt. I would add maybe 1/2 teaspoon extra per pound puree used.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.