Print Friendly Recipe
- Judith McLaren
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 4-1/2 tbsp (70 ml) cornstarch
- 1/3 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 4 egg yolks (beaten, save whites for meringue)
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) butter
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) lemon juice
- lemon peel slivers, optional
- Pie crust:
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 4 egg whites (room temperature is best)
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) sugar
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) cream of tartar
- Bake and cool pie crust pastry (Recipe at bottom)
- In saucepan, combine 1 cup (225 ml) sugar, flour, cornstarch & salt.
- Stir in water, cook and stir until thick and clear.
- Add small amount of hot mixture to yolks and stir to mix.
- Add yolk mixture (now a little hot) to rest of hot mixture.
- Mix well.
- Cook on medium 1 minute.
- Add juice, butter, and peel.
- Cook 1 minute and pour into pie shell. Cool.
- Cover with meringue (completely sealing at edges of pie crust) and bake at 400 degrees (200 C.) until meringue barely browns.
- Garnish with lemon peel slivers, if desired.
- Directions for pie pastry crust:
- Mix 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour, 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening and 3 tbsp (45 ml) water.
- Blend well with pastry cutter or fork. Roll dough out on floured surface.
- When big enough to fill pie plate, carefully transfer over to pie plate.
- Use fork to poke holes all over bottom of pie pan to avoid bubbling.
- Flute edges of pie pastry before baking.
- Bake 450 for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Directions for meringue:
- Beat 4 egg whites (room temperature is best) for several minutes.
- Then, slowly add 8 tbsp (125 ml) of sugar bit by bit while eggs beat.
- Add tiny bit (1/8 tsp) cream of tartar as well, while eggs beat.
- When meringue has stiff peaks (stand tall but won't fall), it's done.
- My Mother's favorite dessert before she passed away. This
pie is a bit more tart than some, since Mom liked it that
way. Decrease lemon juice amount if tart isn't what you're
going for! Delicious, still a family favorite.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.