Print Friendly Recipe
- Sweet and flavorful and very pretty on any platter, and a beloved condiment at holidays!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:8 or more pints
- 12 lbs (5.4 kg). firm tart apples (maximum diameter,2-1/2 inches)
- 12 cups (2825 ml) sugar
- 6 cups (1425 ml) water
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). whole cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) red hot cinnamon candies
- 8 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp (5 ml). red food coloring (optional)
- Wash apples. To prevent discoloration, peel and slice one apple at a time. Immediately cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices, remove core area with a melon baller, and immerse in ascorbic acid solution (use 1 tsp (5 ml) of powdered ascorbic acid per 4 quarts (3775 ml) of cold water).
- To make the flavored syrup, combine sugar, water, vinegar, cloves, cinnamon candies, or cinnamon sticks and food coloring in a 6-qt. saucepan.
- Stir, heat to boil, and simmer 3 minutes.
- Drain apples, add to hot syrup, and cook 5 minutes.
- Fill hot jars (preferably wide-mouth) with apple rings and hot flavored syrup, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Adjust lids and process according to your hot water bath or pressure canner directions.
- Call your local County Extension Office for assistance if you are unsure of times, or have never canned before.
- These make the perfect Christmas gift, or for that matter, ANY holiday gift! They are often times forgotten in mneu planning, but never forgotten and always enjoyed by diners as delicious and being an extra special touch!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.