Print Friendly Recipe
- As the dessert bakes a cake-like topping forms over the lemon filling
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 9 inch unbaked pie crust
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) grated lemon peel
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) lemon juice
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- On a lightly floured board, roll pastry into an 11 1/2 inch round.
- Fit into a 9 inch pie pan; trim and flute edge.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and butter.
- Blend in flour, salt, lemon peel, and lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks to blend; stir in milk.
- Stir egg mixture into lemon mixture in a medium sized bowl.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until they hold still, moist peaks.
- Gently fold egg whites into lemon mixture.
- Pour filling into pastry shell.
- Bake on lowest rack of a 375 degree (200 C.) oven until filling is richly browned on top and center feels set when lightly pressed, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Serve at room temperature.
- If made ahead, refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- A great comfort food recipe from the June 1929 Sunset Magazine.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.