Print Friendly Recipe
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 4 cups (950 ml) fresh broccoli, florettes, cut into bite-sized manageable pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water chestnuts, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green onions, sliced into 1/4 inchs, use some of the green ends
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple chunks
- 1 cup (225 ml) halved green grapes
- 1 cup (225 ml) halved red grapes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red onion, that has been chopped and soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, and drained.
- 8 to 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) walnuts or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) mayonnaise, (not salad dressing, as it will break down and "weep" too much in the salad)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add and toss together, the broccoli, florettes, celery, water chestnuts, green onions, green grapes, red grapes, apple, red onion, bacon, walnuts or pecans, and set aside.
- Next in a medium mixing bowl, mix together and blend well the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the broccoli mixture and gently toss and fold in the dressing until all the vegetalbes are coated.
- Chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Note: You can use other vegetable in conjunction with the broccoli, such as kohlrabi, cauliflower, turnips, jicama, or even packaged cabbage slaw mixes. Cut or slice the additonal choices into bite-sized pieces or julienned. Also, dried cherries, cranberries, or raisins are an excellent addition. Add sunflower seeds or slivered almonds.. this is a very versatile salad, a good one to finish up tag ends of leftover vegetables or fruits. Even pineapple in it is delicious!
|Email This To A Friend