Print Friendly Recipe
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 4 cups (950 ml) fresh broccoli, florettes, cut into bite-sized manageable pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) celery, diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water chestnuts, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) green onions, sliced into 1/4 inchs, use some of the green ends
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple chunks
- 1 cup (225 ml) halved green grapes
- 1 cup (225 ml) halved red grapes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) red onion, that has been chopped and soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, and drained.
- 8 to 12 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) walnuts or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) mayonnaise, (not salad dressing, as it will break down and "weep" too much in the salad)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add and toss together, the broccoli, florettes, celery, water chestnuts, green onions, green grapes, red grapes, apple, red onion, bacon, walnuts or pecans, and set aside.
- Next in a medium mixing bowl, mix together and blend well the mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the broccoli mixture and gently toss and fold in the dressing until all the vegetalbes are coated.
- Chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
- Note: You can use other vegetable in conjunction with the broccoli, such as kohlrabi, cauliflower, turnips, jicama, or even packaged cabbage slaw mixes. Cut or slice the additonal choices into bite-sized pieces or julienned. Also, dried cherries, cranberries, or raisins are an excellent addition. Add sunflower seeds or slivered almonds.. this is a very versatile salad, a good one to finish up tag ends of leftover vegetables or fruits. Even pineapple in it is delicious!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.