- Rich and spicy flavors for a great appetizer or a succulent entree for your family or friends.
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil, extra virgin gives the best flavor
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). shrimp, peeled and deveined, and rinsed*
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry white wine, or a dry sherry will work as well
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried hot chile flakes, or more to taste
- salt, to taste
- cooked pasta, optional
- optional grilling version: juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- Skillet Sauteed Version:
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil and the garlic, heating the garlic until it is just beginning to toast, do not brown it or make it dark, it will be bitter instead of sweet and nutty. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until they are "just" starting to turn pink and become cooked, only about a minute or two at most.
- Then, to the skillet, add the dry white wine, cilantro, parsley and the chile flakes.
- Carefully, toss everything in the skillet to coat all the shrimp and complete the cooking of the shrimp, only about another minute or two.
- Add salt to taste and pour into a serving dish to enjoy with pretty skewers as an appetizer, or place the shrimp on top of hot oil and butter tossed linguine or your favorite pasta shape and serve as a main dish.
- Marinated and Grilled Version:
- Take bamboo skewers and soak them in warm water for at least an hour and set aside.
- In a large tight sealing zip-locked plastic bag, add the garlic, olive oil, shrimp, dry white wine, cilantro, parsley, and hot chile flakes. Do not add salt, but add the juice of 1/2 of a lemon.
- Seal the bag, removing as much air as you can, and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Then, take as many shrimp as you like, usually 3 to 6 per bamboo skewer, poke the bamboo skewer through the bottom tail section and then through the top head section of each shrimp, so each shrimp has been secured twice. Finish threading as many shrimp as you want onto each of the skewers and set them in a dish and pour the marinade over them.
- Next, over medium high diffused gas grill heat, or off- center heat of your coals, place the skewers on the grill rack and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp are cooked through and pink and opaque.
- Serve the shrimp on their skewers for appetizers or as an accompaniment to a steak and shrimp "turf and surf" dinner, or as the main entree.
- Both versions are delicious. Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of parsley.
- This recipe doubles easily.
- *Note: The best choice for shrimp size are the 26-30 per pound, but you can adjust as to your serving preferences. The large prawns make a very impressive display. If you use the large "under 10's", (10 or less shrimp per pound), you will only need three or maximum four shrimp per person for an entree, and only one or two per person for an appetizer.