Print Friendly Recipe
- Easy, Flavorful, Quick, Inexpensive, and Beautiful.. A recipe fit for your family's dinner!
- S. Chokel
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 4 whole chicken breasts, split, skinless, boneless
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine vinegar, (cider vinegar will work also)
- 1 pinch ground ginger, or to taste
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small can pineapple tidbits, drained
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Lightly grease an ovenproof casserole dish that is large enough to hold the chicken breasts, and set it aside.
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then dust them with flour.
- In a large skillet, place the oil and heat it to brown the chicken, not cook it, but sear and crisp their floured surface. Once that has been done, place the chicken into the prepared casserole dish.
- Next, in a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and the vinegar together with the ginger and mix until it is a thick-ish slurry.
- Then, carefully, and as evenly as possible, coat the tops of the browned chicken breast with this mixture.
- Next, place the drained mandarin oranges and the pineapple tidbits over, on, and around the chicken breasts. (If you like, you can add about a 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the combined juices to the bottom of the pan, but it is not necessary).
- Place the casserole dish into the oven for about 45 minutes until nicely glazed and the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
- Excellent recipe to double or reheat, and stunning on a buffet table.
Serve with steamed white rice and your choice of vegetables. We like a quick saute of diagonal cut carrots, slices of multi-colored sweet bell peppers, sliced/chunked sweet maui onion, with a bit of lemon juice added to the pan and a quick splash of the combined juices from the mandarin oranges and the pineapple tidbits. Still crunchy, but completely warmed.
|Email This To A Friend