Print Friendly Recipe
- This is the original and the real thing, from Hungary
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). beef shanks or other stew meat, cubed
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lard
- 1 lb (.5 kg). carrots, peeled and thick sliced
- 1 lb (.5 kg). potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups (1425 ml) water
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves pressed garlic
- 1 tomato chopped, or 1 10 oz (280 grm). can
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hungarian ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). caraway seed
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) salt
- Saute onion in hot lard until transparent, don't burn it.
- Add meat, brown the surface while stirring.
- Add paprika, and stir vigorously until mixed with meat.
- Add 6 cups (1425 ml) of water, and everything else except the carrots and potatoes.
- Simmer for about 1 hour, or until beef is almost tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots and simmer 1/2 hour more.
- Add more salt to taste if necessary, and/or replace evaporated water.
- Can use vegetable shortening instead of lard. This recipe I actually got off the on-line cookbook from someone else have tried the dish and it is very good. Enjoy!!!
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.