Print Friendly Recipe
- Vicky Bryant
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped onion
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped bell pepper
- chopped 3/4 cup (175 ml) celery
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped green onion bottoms
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne (or to taste)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black pepper
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) minced garlic
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chicken bouillon
- 1 quart (950 ml) water
- 1 lb (.5 kg). salad shrimp (use a little larger shrimp)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped green onion tops
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- cooked rice
- Make roux by placing 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter in a medium saucepan, melt, then slowly stir in flour.
- Cook three minutes over medium heat, then cover and set aside.
- In a large pot, add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of butter and melt.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery and green onion bottoms.
- Cook over medium heat until transparent, approximately eight minutes.
- Add paprika, cayenne, black pepper, garlic and chicken bouillon.
- Cook two minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add water; bring to boil for five minutes.
- Add roux, stirring well.
- Reduce heat and boil gently for three minutes.
- Add shrimp, half the green onion tops and parsley.
- Stir in last 1/2 cup (125 ml) of butter.
- Serve over rice.
- Garnish with remaining green onion tops and larger shrimp.
- You can make this as spicy as you want but the way it is is pretty good. If memory serves me correctly I do add a bit more cayenne.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.