Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 lb (.5 kg). dried red beans, rinsed sorted over
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped onion
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped celery
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) chopped orange or yellow bell peppers
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). to 3/4 lb (.3 kg). turkey keilbasa sausage, split in half and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 smoked turkey leg
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped garlic
- 5 cups (1175 ml) chicken stock
- 5 cups (1175 ml) water
- 4 cups (950 ml) cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped green onions, garnish
- Place the beans in a large bowl or pot and cover with by 2 inches. Let soak for 6 hours or overnight. Drain and set aside.
- In large pot,melt butter.
- Add the onions, celery, bell peppers.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the bay leaves parsley, thyme, sausage, and cook, stirring, to brown the sausage, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the smoked turkey leg, beans, chicken stock and water, stir well, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender and starting to thicken, about 2 hours.
- Remove from the heat.
- Remove turkey leg(cool slightly).
- Remove meat from leg and return to pot.
- With the back of a heavy spoon, mash about 1/4 of the beans against the side of the pot.
- Continue to cook until the beans are tender and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and remove bay leaves.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.
|Email This To A Friend