Print Friendly Recipe
- Pickled tiger prawns combined in a chunky garlic gazpacho.
- Dover Canyon Winery
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1 lb (.5 kg). large tiger shrimp or prawns, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 12 roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, reserving some for garnish
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
- Marinate the prawns and garlic in the vinegar and lemon juice for 1 to 2 hours, or overnight. If you feel more comfortable with cooked seafood, saute the prawns in a spoonful of olive oil until barely bright pink; cool prawns.
- Combine all ingredients, including prawns and marinade.
- Season with salt and coarsely ground pepper.
- To serve, ladle the gazpacho into small cups or bowls.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh cilantro.
- Wine suggestion:
A crisp, slightly acidic white with lots of fruit and delicate herbal notes. Good selections would be sauvignon blanc, malvasia bianca, or tank-fermented chardonnay.
From "Fresh from Dover Canyon."
My original recipe was published by Bon Appetit in the April 1992 issue, then again in their 20-Minute Special Edition issue, and included again in the 1992 hardbound collector s edition. The recipe was altered by the editors to be more like a traditional gazpacho, including the incorporation of four cups of tomato juice. But this is the original crunchy, fresh-from-the-garden, high garlic, many-prawns version.
|Email This To A Friend