Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). lean ground beef or turkey sausage (casing removed)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups (475 ml) sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup (225 ml) tomato juice or water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp (5 ml). dried basil
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 9 or more Mueller's lasagna noodles (about 8 oz (224 grm).), uncooked
- 8 oz (224 grm). shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Turn on the oven to bake setting, 350 degrees (175 C.).
- In large skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Drain off the grease. I used the styrofoam plate that the hamburger came in to catch the grease from underneath the strainer. When the grease hardens in about an hour, throw out the syrofoam plate, grease and all. Saves a plumber bill in the future.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms (optional), tomato juice (or water), and basil.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In small mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) meat/tomato sauce into 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Top with half the UNCOOKED lasagna noodles, all the ricotta cheese mixture, 1 cup (225 ml) mozzarella cheese (half the package), 1/2 cup (125 ml) parmesan cheese, 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) meat/tomato sauce, then the remaining lasagna noodles.
- Top with remaining meat/tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 45 minutes. Set a timer for 45 minutes, then clean up the kitchen which is strewn with splattered tomato sauce, egg shells, and cutting board residuals.
- Remove foil; bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- To use prepared spaghetti sauce: In first step, omit onion, garlic, tomato sauce and basil. Add 1 30 oz (840 grm). jar prepared spaghetti sauce with the mushrooms (optional) and tomato juice (or water) to browned meat. Complete as directed.
- Preparation time 20 minutes. Bake time 60 minutes.
Mueller's "Save-a-Step" Lasagna
This is a very yummy lasagna recipe. It's a bit of work, makes a mess in the kitchen, but well worth it. This recipe does NOT require you to pre-cook the lasagna noodles. The oven does the noodle-cooking work right in the baking dish!
I used ground beef (hamburger), skipped the mushrooms (the kids don't like them), and used water instead of tomato juice to keep it simple.
In response to the recipe for "Mueller's Lasagna": I have
found that this recipe CAN be frozen even with noodles that have not been
boiled ahead. It's a good idea to have a little leftover sauce frozen in a
ziploc bag in case it seems dry when it comes out of the freezer.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.