Print Friendly Recipe
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) dry white wine
- 1 quart (950 ml) lightly salted stock
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) concentrated tomato puree
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mushrooms
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Madeira
- 1 small carrot
- 1 medium sized onion
- few sprigs parsley
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) stock
- Dice carrot and onion fine and cook in 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter in a saucepan big enough to contain all the sauce.
- Brown the vegetables lightly, add flour, blend well and cook this roux slowly and gently, stirring constantly until it aquires a light golden colour.
- Allow to cool, and dilute with white wine, added little by little.
- Add 3 cups (700 ml) stock, tomato puree, parsley, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add mushrooms, washed and chopped fine and browned lightly in butter.
- Bring to a boil, stirring with a sauce whisk.
- Simmer gently for 45 minutes. From time to time, skim off the fat.
- Strain through a fine strainer into another saucepan, pressing out all the juices.
- Reheat, bring to a boil slowly and cook for 30 minutes, adding from time to time 1 or 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the remaining stock.
- Strain through a cloth and put back on the fire.
- Cook down to about 2 cups (475 ml).
- Add Madeira.
- Simmer for five minutes.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.