Print Friendly Recipe
- A Martha Stewart recipe
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground ginger
- Pinch cayenne pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) peanut oil
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees (125 C.).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut pumpkin open from the bottom, removing seeds with a long-handled spoon.
- Separate flesh from seeds, and reserve the flesh for another use (see Pumpkin Pie).
- Pumpkin should yield 1 cup (225 ml) seeds.
- Spread seeds on parchment in an even layer.
- Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne.
- Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar.
- Cook until sugar melts and pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds.
- Transfer to bowl with spices, and stir well to coat.
- Let cool.
- These may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Pumpkin seeds must be completely dried out in the oven before combining with spices. Whether for cooking or carving, choose an unblemished pumpkin that feels heavy for its size; it will store well, uncarved, at room temperature, for up to a month.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.