Print Friendly Recipe
- This is really good and easy!
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 6 oz (168 grm). bacon, cuth into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, diced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) bottled clam juice
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) half and half
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh or frozen corn kernals
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh crabmeat, coarsely flaked or chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- Saute bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 3 tbsp (45 ml) bacon fat.
- Add onion to drippings in saucepan and saute until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir until coated.
- Add clam juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add half and half, corn, crab, fresh thyme and half of bacon; cook uncovered until potatoes and corn are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle chowder into bowls.
- Garnish with remaining bacon and serve.
- I garnished with bacon and it just sank so I think I would just throw it all in next time.
From Bon Appetit magazine, September 2004.
Suggested served with flaky biscuits, and a baby spinach salad with roasted red peppers.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.