Print Friendly Recipe
- Very rich and moist
Serves/Makes:1 3 layer cake
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) cocoa
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Glossy chocolate frosting:
- 6 1 oz (28 grm). (squares) unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups (700 ml) sifted confectioner's sugar
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) hot water
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- Combine 3/4 cup (175 ml) cocoa, 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar, 1 egg yolk and 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk.
- Cook until thick, stirring constantly to prevent sticking; cool mixture.
- Cream 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter until soft.
- Gradually add remaining 1 cup (225 ml) sugar, beating until well blended.
- Add 1 whole egg and 2 egg yolks; mix well.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients alternately with 1 cup (225 ml) sour cream.
- Add vanilla and cocoa mixture.
- Fold in egg whites which have been beaten stiff but not dry.
- Pour into three greased and floured 8" pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool and frost.
- Melt 6 oz (168 grm). (squares) of unsweetened chocolate.
- Add 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sifted confectioner's sugar and 5 tbsp (70 ml) hot water; beat well and add 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) more confectioner's sugar.
- Gradually beat in 6 egg yolks.
- When smooth and blended , beat in 1/2 cup (125 ml) softened butter.
- Makes enough frosting for tops and sides of three 9" layers.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.